Logo

Why Bognor "Regis"?

On July 26th 1929 the accolade "Regis" was bestowed on Bognor.

It was in January 1929 that it was announced from Buckingham Palace that King George V was to be moved to Bognor to recover from his serious illness. He had caught a chill in November 1928, probably at the War Memorial Service at the Cenotaph, which had affected his right lung.

At the beginning of December 1928 the nation was told that his heart was weakening. The King became unconscious and after a lung operation he began his determined struggle for life.

Finally on January 22nd 1929 came the news "The time is approaching when His Majesty's removal to sea air will be advantageous".

The residence selected was Craigweil House, which was "placed at His Majesty's disposal" by Sir Arthur du Cross, Baronet.

On Saturday February 9th 1929 Queen Mary arrived to await the King. One hour later the King arrived and so began thirteen weeks of recuperation for His Majesty.

Royal visitors during their stay included the Prince of Wales and the Duke of York (the future Edward VIII and George VI), their sister Princess Mary, Queen Maud and Prince (later King) Olaf of Norway. On March 17th the King's two year old grand daughter Princess Elizabeth (our Queen Elizabeth) came for a two week stay.

In the brief period between February and May 1929 the Bognor area had been honoured by the presence of the reigning Monarch and three future sovereigns.

The sea air proved to be advantageous to the King for although it was winter time when he recovered his health in Bognor with beneficial effects. Previous Monarchs had been accustomed to going abroad for their health but Bognor sea air was the tonic needed by King George V.